The Community Services Division was eliminated due to budgetary cutbacks in 2011. The crime prevention and community outreach functions are now handled by four Crime Prevention Specialists, assigned to each of the four division.
The four Crime Prevention Specialists (CPS) with the four Police Divisions work to develop neighborhoods to enhance their quality of life. The CPS worker will gather “climate” information and coordinate public safety services and educate citizens on ways to combat specific crimes. The services provided may include:
- Neighborhood Watch
- Senior Security
- Personal Safety
- Fraud Protection
- Child Safety
- Business crime prevention programs such as Business Watch, Shoplifting and Robbery Prevention.
- We also have a strong Asian Liaison program that continually reaches out to the Asian Community. The Asian Liaison officer regularly attends on-going community meetings including Human Trafficking. We also staff many Asian Community events.
Crime Prevention Programs
The Crime Prevention side of the Division is involved in a variety of youth and school based programming. Programs such as Challenges and Choices (C2), Project Cornerstone, Camp Everytown, and Safe Alternatives Violence Education (S.A.V.E.) present violence reduction, drug and gang awareness/prevention programs.
The CSD continues to be actively involved in multicultural youth programs. We support the youth education programs of the National Conference for Community and Justice (NCCJ).
- Implement youth program curriculum in various schools within the city of San Jose.
- Reach a specific audience of youth through school-based presentations.
- To assist BFO by providing presentations that will impact the development of a neighborhood or business to deter a specific on-going crime.
- Reach a specific audience of citizens through community presentations offered by the Community Services Division.