Homicide Investigations Unit
The San Jose Police Department’s Homicide Unit is one of several units in the Bureau of Investigations (BOI). The Homicide Unit investigates all incidents that fall under our guidelines within the limits of the city of San Jose
The Homicide Unit has three functionally separate subdivisions. They are Homicide Investigation, Crime Scene Investigation, and the Night General Detail.
Unit personnel will attend meetings with other detectives throughout the Department, the City, and the County to share investigative techniques and case information to ensure that investigations are investigated thoroughly and that the maximum resources are utilized. Personnel from our unit will also serve as liaisons between other law enforcement agencies regarding cases of mutual interest.
The Homicide Unit is comprised of twenty-three (23) sworn and one (1) civilian personnel under the command of one (1) Lieutenant.
Twelve (12) Detectives comprised of six (6) Sergeants and six (6) Officers handle the following:
- Manslaughter (except Vehicular)
- Mental Health Holds (Juveniles and Adults)
- Unattended Deaths
- Officer-Involved Shootings with Death or Injury
- Deaths that occur while In-Custody
- Officer-Involved Shootings, which are intentional and deliberate and do not result in death or injury
- Arson as the manner of death
- Assaults against on-duty, police officers wherein a death results
- Incidents involving death or serious injury to on-duty Department employees
- The result of suicide or an attempted suicide
- Outside law enforcement agency shootings that occur on and off duty, in the City limits.
- Cold Homicide Cases: A “cold case” homicide is defined as any unsolved homicide in the City and has no significant leads, and is no longer being actively investigated by detectives based on a lack of solvability factors.
CRIME SCENE UNIT
Seven (7) Detectives comprised of one (1) Sergeant and six (6) officers handle the following:
- Crime Scene Investigation on homicide cases, suicides (as needed), and officer-involved shootings
- Crime Scene investigation on other major cases on a case by case basis
- Expert court testimony
- Assistance to homicide investigators on homicide cases
- Coordination of the disposition of case related property
- Assistance to other Departmental Units, as well as outside agencies requesting assistance in the processing of crime scene evidence
NIGHT GENERAL UNIT
Three (3) Detectives comprised of one (1) Sergeant and two (2) officers handle the following:
- Assistance to Homicide Investigators on homicide and officer- involved shootings
- Assistance to Bureau of Investigation Units on crime scenes and criminal investigations
- Assistance to the Bureau of Field Operations on field investigations of serious felonies and major crimes
- Attendance at Bureau of Field Operation’s briefings and dissemination of information regarding Bureau of Investigations cases
The San Jose Police Department Homicide Unit is committed to the unrelenting pursuit of those offenders who have committed murder and the successful prosecution of those involved.
It is our hope that through our professionalism that the citizens of San Jose feel comfortable in contacting us with information related to any Homicide that has occurred.