Lateral/ Direct Entry/San Jose Reserve Applicant
Lateral/Direct entry applicants are those with police/peace officer experience or have graduated from a California police academy in the last two years. The San Jose Police Department does not accept Out-of-State Lateral Police Officer transfers or Federal Law Enforcement transfers who have completed the California POST Basic Course Waiver. All Law Enforcement Officers wishing to transfer from Out-of-State or from a Federal Law Enforcement Agency must apply as an entry level applicant and then attend the Police Academy. The San Jose Police Department reserves the right to ask a Direct Entry Applicant to attend and successfully complete a San Jose Police Academy as a police recruit. Application is a three step process.
STEP #1 QUALIFICATIONS:
You must meet the following qualifications. If you meet them, move on to step #2.
- Currently employed as a California Law Enforcement Officer with a CA Basic P.O.S.T. certificate OR
- Possess a California P.O.S.T. Academy graduation certificate within the last
TWO years OR
- Currently an active San Jose Police Department Reserve Officer
- Must be 21 years old and not older than age 70
- Must possess a valid California driver's license
- Must possess a U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED)
- Must have completed at least 60 semester college credits or 90 quarter college credits from an accredited college or university http://www.sjpd.org/JoinSJPDBlue/CollegeCredit.html
- Must possess U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
- Must have at least 20/40 vision uncorrected
- Cannot have any felony, domestic violence, misdemeanor assault convictions or currently be on parole or probation.
STEP #2 REQUIREMENTS:
If you meet the above qualifications, you must meet the following minimum testing requirements for the WTSB and 1.5 mile run. You can register to take these tests at any California police academy that offers them. In San Jose, you can register at South Bay Regional Public Safety Consortium: http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests. Please note that the San Jose Police Department DOES NOT administer these tests.
- Successfully passed the California P.O.S.T. physical agility test also known as the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) with a “T-score” of 384 or higher.
- Successfully completed and passed the 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes or less
STEP #3 APPLICATION: Once you receive your T-Score, apply here - Police Lateral/Direct Entry Application.
Upon successful completion of testing you will placed on the eligibility list for background inquiry.