Police Recruit Applicants
A Police Recruit applicant is someone who has no police/peace officer experience, has not yet graduated from a California police academy or is a police officer from another state. Police Recruit classification also include self affiliates currently in a California police academy. Application is a three step process.
STEP #1 QUALIFICATIONS:
You must meet the following qualifications. If you meet them, move on to step #2.
- At least 20 ½ years old at the time of application. The mandatory retirement age is 70 years old.
- A valid United States driver's license.
- U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED). Waived, if you have a college degree, from an accredited college within the U.S.
- 40 semester college credits or 60 quarter college credits from an accredited college or university. We cannot accept in-progress credits or credits from another police academy. Information of accredited institutions accepted: http://www.sjpd.org/JoinSJPDBlue/CollegeCredit.html
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship.
- Must have at least 20/40 vision uncorrected.
- No felony, domestic violence, misdemeanor assault convictions or currently on probation or parole.
STEP #2 REQUIREMENTS:
If you meet the above qualifications, you must meet the following minimum testing requirements for the PELLETB, WTSB and 1.5 mile run. You can register to take these tests at any California police academy that offers them. In San Jose, you can register at South Bay Regional Public Safety Consortium: http://www.theacademy.ca.gov/tests. Please note that the San Jose Police Department DOES NOT administer these test.
- Successfully passed the California P.O.S.T. Reading and Writing Test (PELLETB), with a "T-score" of 50 or higher.
- Successfully passed the California P.O.S.T. physical agility test also known as the Work Sample Test Battery (WSTB) with a “T-score” of 320 or higher.
- Successfully passed the 1.5 mile run. The WSTB will also be offered during the out of area test weekend for out of area applicants.
STEP #3 APPLICATION: Once you receive your T-Scores, apply here – Police Recruit Application
Upon successful completion of the testing process you will placed on the eligibility list for background inquiry.