National Night Out Registration
Your neighborhood is invited to participate with many other neighborhoods across the country in celebration of National Night Out on Tuesday evening, August 1, 2017. National Night Out is a crime and drug prevention event that is sponsored nationally by the National Association of Town Watch and co-sponsored locally by the San Jose Police Department. This year over 38 million people across the country are expected to participate.
National Night Out is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime prevention efforts
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police/community partnerships
- Send a message to criminals that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back
Participating neighborhoods nationwide are asked to turn on outside lights, lock their doors, and spend the evening outside with neighbors and police. Neighborhoods will be hosting a variety of events ranging from small potlucks and BBQ's to large block parties. Some additional event ideas include, but are not limited to, ice cream socials, disaster preparedness, games, contests, discussing neighborhood issues or setting neighborhood goals, food or clothing donations, plan a clean-up day, beautify a common area, discuss or plan a Neighborhood Watch Program. It's up to you — be creative, have fun and CELEBRATE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD! For additional ideas or questions, contact the SJPD Crime Prevention Unit (408) 277-4133.
Register your neighborhood for this year's event today. Registration is free and gives police and other city representatives an opportunity to attend local events as time and circumstances permit. You do NOT have to be a current Neighborhood Watch neighborhood to participate. National Night Out is for everyone! Register now and begin planning your event as soon as possible.
The City of San Jose is a nationally registered participant in this year's event. To register locally simply complete the form below or contact the SJPD Crime Prevention Unit (408) 277-4133.
National Night Out
Park Use Guidelines
The Special Park Use Unit of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services with the City of San José has developed the criteria for a National Night Out to be held in a neighborhood park that caters to the local surrounding community. Normally, a limited number of events are allowed in neighborhood parks, in which case, the Special Park Use Unit may deny any National Night Out application that does not follow the following criteria:
- The primary purpose of the National Night Out is to provide a unique crime and drug prevention event in an approved area in a specific park, and allow the public to attend the event for FREE and not to promote the organization.
- The event must be registered with the San Jose Police Department – Crime Prevention Unit to be considered an official National Night Out.
- Submit a completed Outdoor Special Event Permit Application no later than 4:00 p.m. on July 14, 2017.
- Submit a detailed description including a timeline of the event and activities involved, making sure to disclose all elements of the event.
- Description must include the organization’s proximity to the selected park.
- Submit a detailed map with the proposed area of the park to be used and the location of the event, making sure to show the location of all equipment (i.e. tables, canopies, stage, air jumper, etc.).
- Event must conclude by 10:00 p.m. and cleanup time must conclude by 11:59 p.m. If the cleanup exceeds this time, additional fees may apply.
- The event may not use any portion of an existing sports field without direct coordination with the City-Wide Sports Program.
- Portable restroom facilities and hand washing units may be required for those parks that do not have restrooms.
- You may distribute food on park property, however the Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health will require a Temporary Health Permit, permit fees and all health procedures must be followed.
- The San Jose Fire may also require additional permits for festivals, cooking, food trucks, generators and tents.
- No items may be sold without supervision of San Jose Police or Private Security.
- No raffles.
- Amplified sound equipment may be used with placement and hours to be approved by the Special Park Use Unit.
- Trash receptacles will be required to be placed throughout the event site and event related trash must be removed from park premises by the organization and disposed of elsewhere.
- All picnic tables are on a first come, first serve basis.
- The Special Park Use Unit may deny any National Night Out that may exceed the maximum number of attendees allowed in each park for such use.
To obtain an Outdoor Special Event Permit Application and for further information, please contact the Special Park Use Unit at (408) 794-6500 or SPUapplications@sanjoseca.gov. We look forward to working with you to celebrate National Night Out in the Parks!
Please fill in ALL requested information. If the requested information does not apply to you, type in DNA. If you have any problems or questions contact: SJPD Crime Prevention Unit at (408) 277-4133
Please plan ahead especially if permits for special events, parks use, or street block closures are necessary.
These Permits Have Separate & Much Earlier Deadlines:
- If the event will be held at a city park, contact the Special Park Use Unit for information and rules at:
(408) 794-6500 or email: SPUapplications@sanjoseca.gov
Park Permit Applications Must Be Submitted By July 14, 2017
- If you are planning to close your street for a block party, you must obtain a Block Party
(Street Closure) Application from the Permits Unit
Street Closure (Block Party) Applications Must Be Presented and Approved By July 14, 2017
(See the Street Closure Application for details).
- If your event is open to the general public and food will be served, please contact the Health Department regarding
Special Event and/ or Health Permits: (408) 918-3400 and www.EHinfo.org
Health Department Applications Must Be Submitted by July 14, 2017
San Jose Police Department - Crime Prevention Unit, San Jose, CA 95110 Phone: 408-277-4133 Fax: 408-294-1912